What are the Best Roofing Shingles?
Shingle roofing is a very popular choice for homeowners. Not only do your shingles protect your roof, but they will help to keep your home insulated, and can even increase the value of your home. With all of the different types of roofing shingles out there, it can be difficult to determine which ones are best for you. Knowing more about the different types of shingles can help make this decision a little easier.
Asphalt shingles are one of the most commonly used types of roofing. Some of the things to know about asphalt shingles includes:
- Asphalt shingles come in different types including organic and fiberglass.
- They come in different styles, sizes, and colors giving you a variety to choose from. Some of the styles and colors include, slate, weathered wood, charcoal, and barkwood.
- You can often save on your energy bills because most of these shingles meet the standards of Energy Star.
- They typically last about 20 years.
A drawback of asphalt shingles is the material is a little weaker, so they have a tendency to crack or become damaged. Asphalt shingles also need to be used on a roof that has a sloop to it.
Tile roofing is perfect for those that are looking for shingles with style. Tile shingles can be formed into a variety of different shapes and sizes and often have a lighter color. Some things to keep in mind are:
- They are often the most appealing type of shingle.
- Tile shingles are extremely durable, often lasting for about 80 years.
- Properties with a Mediterranean or Spanish style home often use these tiles.
- They are one of the most expensive types of shingles.
- They are quite heavy, so you will need to have your home checked to ensure the structure of your home can handle the weight.
- You will also want to take into consideration the budget you have for installation as they can be more expensive to install.
Some of the problems you could have with tile shingles include small holes or cracks, leaks, or tiles that could break.
Slate shingles are one of the most durable types of shingles, often lasting between 80 and 100 years. They also offer some of the best protection against water damage and are not easily damaged themselves. They come in a few different colors, including black, green, red, and gray. Although they are beautiful, before jumping ahead and buying slate shingles for your roof, you should keep these things in mind:
- They are one of the more expensive types of shingles.
- Any repairs that need to be done can be quite costly.
- They are a heavy type of shingle and your home would need to be inspected to ensure the structure could handle the weight of the shingles.
Wood Roof Shingles
Wood shingles are a bit more expensive than asphalt shingles, but are not as expensive as tile or slate shingles. Some of the things to keep in mind with wood shingles, such as cedar, are:
- They are one of the most environmentally friendly shingles you can buy.
- Wood shingles are quite durable typically lasting between 30 and 50 years.
- They are energy efficient, so they can help reduce your energy costs.
- Redwood and cedar are the two main types of wood shingles available.
There are a couple of drawbacks to consider as well:
- Measures will need to be taken in order to prevent mold and termites.
- They are not as fire retardant as other shingles.
- The installation process for wood shingles can be a bit more difficult.
When it comes time to choose the best type of roofing shingles for your home, it is best to know all of the pros and cons about each option. This information will assist you in choosing the right ones for your home. If you have any questions about the shingles we offer or any other questions about our roofing company, please call us at (310) 679-6767 to discuss your needs and receive a free roofing estimate!
Write a Comment